I tried to make a decent shirt using a civil war shirt pattern I modified, but lo! I do not yet know enough to make a proper fitting pattern. My chest measures 40 inches, so I added 4, made the side seams straight, and cut it all out. Of course, when your gut’s grown and measures about the same as your chest, an extra 4 inches cuts close. I made the shoulder seam too short and the sleeve too tight. Go figure. However, I did a decent job of sewing everything, so at least I know my stitches will suffice. I used 2 dollar a yard muslin which a lot of people use as their ‘test fit’ material, so at least you know I am not wasting amazing fabric.