A person can acquire a good quality used suit for a reasonable price, and while they provide some tailoring practice I should stop at this point and focus on creating.
For about a week now I’ve worked on this single pair late at night. I think about the stories of second-hand stores receiving so much cloth they don’t know what to do with it all, and I read tales of high end clothes selling for almost nothing at said locations. Naturally, my self-defeating mind says You’ll be a part of the problem if you make it anywhere, but I can’t keep switching skills, so I console myself with a few thoughts:
– My output won’t amount to much. Even working all day, making one pair of jeans might take 2 or 3 days depending on the level of customization or whatever, so a max of 180 a year.
– Maybe people will consider them worth repairing. In fact, I’d really prefer more of my “business” to be about repairing–no matter the brand.
Of course, I can’t call myself an expert in any of this. I’m not an educated tailor or repairer … somehow need to network, maybe make several pants for people for only the cost of materials to gain more ground with this shit.
Though I am almost too stout to wear these pants, I decided to patch one of the holes on them.
One cuts the comb-over like strands and fuzz from the edges of the hole then pins fabric to the under side. It would be better to pin from the front side of the fabric rather than what I did.
Then zigzag your heart out! and trim the excess fabric from the inside of the pants. They also call this procedure “darning.”
And what would fabric be without a label on it? The kind of fabric I like! So….
I took myself a seam ripper and cut through the layers of thread on this swoosh, and after a lot of finger picking the brand disappeared.
Bonus: Sap hands from working with pine branches. I am enjoying all the branches and trees blown in the recent storms.
Not far from completion. ~3 yards of fabric. Slightly altered from the directions because I did not understand them. High waist pants are evidently not too common (wonder why), but they go well with suspenders and I like this pattern in general. You can buy the pattern at tailor’s guide.
In order to cope with feelings of pointlessness, I made a list, and made #3:
It just needs stitching up the side which I will do once a device to help with stitching arrives. In reality, I have enough leather to make one of these, but upcycling sounded about right. The leather came from the outside of a two-fold wallet. The pattern’s nothing but a rectangle of 3×7 inches folded in half and glued.
Probably about half a year ago I pulled my mom’s sewing machine out of its cabinet to clean it and use it to sew pants and shorts, of course, and thanks to a bad side effect of an anti-depressant it behooved me to concentrate on something, so I cleaned and oiled the machine and did some sample stitching on scrap muslin. The stitches do look a little loose, but I imagine they would stand up better to wear than my hand stitching. Even so, I may hand stitch the final pair because I don’t want to screw them up nor waste time learning the ins and outs of this machine right now.
Out on the internet you will not find many men’s pants patterns, but I did manage to find a free pair that prints out in many sections. Typically before someone makes pants using their actual fabric, they make one from muslin to test the sizing and all that, but I cut out about the top fourth of the pants out of packing paper and tested it for fit … will still sew pants from muslin, but they will be working pants and not a test.
The better pants I will sew using lightweight 100% wool. You can buy scraps or leftovers of this stuff for a good discount. I figure on needing at least 3 yards. 3 yards of muslin costs 6 dollars or so and the wool will cost around 25 (good quality new suiting wool costs 20 bucks and up per yard).
Also, I noticed the smell of hot plastic on the machine. I guessed it would clear up after cleaning and oiling tacking the problem up to friction resulting in an overheated motor, but the smell lingered. I sniffed around and realized the built in light heats up its compartment, so I looked around for a LED replacement: only one that I could find for $18. For a little more than that I could buy a task light capable of lighting more than just a needle.