Tag Archives: Woodworking

And Stuff Episode 008: Fast Paste Environment

More from Walker and me!

This time we talk about … stuff? Listen to And Stuff E08: Fast Paste Environment on Overcast. andstuffpodcast@gmail.com @andstuffpodcast on twitter soyeahandstuff.podbean.com

Source: And Stuff Episode 008: Fast Paste Environment

Advertisements

For a fallen froe

Today I took out my new sledge and wedge to split a log. After some beating and filing, I decided to lodge my froe in the log to start the split so that my very blunt, cheap wedge could finish the job, and somewhere in the process I cracked the froe in two places.

IMG_3387

People use(d) froes to split shingles or clapboards, even dimensional lumber (like 1 or 2xs). This one will probably end up on the metal scrap pile now.

IMG_3388

I did, however, successfully split a log after laying it down, propping the wedge between my legs, and giving medium taps till the wedge set in enough to blow at it. We’ll see how splitting this into smaller dimensions goes.

Mom’s present and the Croonborg

Sometimes I just have to accept an object I made will not live up to the perfect image. I decided on a wood veneer candle shade for my mom’s present. Ideally (at least in this case) it would encircle the candle, and the lip of the glass would be centered in the shade: in other words, half of the shade above the top, half below. But this happened:

IMG_3268

I flattened the veneer, but it warped again. I tried to bend it into a circle, but the wood’s too fragile, so I settled on hanging two squares on separate, twisted copper wire hooks. The hooks slope down and out so the wood hangs away from the hot glass. This candle’s burned down considerably, so the flames light the wood, but I don’t know what would happen with a new candle (thus the idea of having half above the lip).

Also, I tried to make a scale pattern [1in=1cm] of a sack coat (old-style business coat) based on the Croonborg method … simply because the book’s public domain at this point. He lays out all the steps and measures, but it’s still not easy:

IMG_3272

To the far right you can see half the back sort of, and I gave up after that. I like this style of drafting better:

A branch’s grain

IMG_3216

IMG_3215 In this section of ornamental cherry branch, a couple of branches branched off resulting in this grain pattern. No wonder it didn’t split easily. I decided to try to turn it into a triangle foot stand for playing classical guitar, so in the first picture you see a triangle created with an architect’s square (with 60 degrees at the marker’d point). I stood the log on its sawed end (supposedly flat) and continued the lines down the side for saw reference–again using the square. In the second picture the sawed side faces the camera in all its glory. Because the triangle faces are so small, I will probably use dowel joints instead of gouging into them for something fancy like dovetails or mortise and tenon.

Wood Veneer Bracelet

IMG_3176

 

I burned the middle piece of wood–the section that sits behind the holes–with a lighter. The holes are just free-handed. A leather strap with a sliding knot, sanding, and a couple coats of boiled linseed oil finish it. For a first time working with the veneer, I say not too bad, though the ends of the wood poke out past my wrist making snagging a possibility, but what bracelet does not have that possibility?

Fairy Door

After seeing a few little doors built into logs or houses, I decided to try one myself. Ultimately, I would like to plant a few out in the woods with a doodad inside for someone to find, but I carved my first effort into a rotting dogwood stump in the backyard.

IMG_3150

 

First, I flatted the stump surface with a hatchet and free-handed the hole with a shallower recess to hold the door, then drilled out the bulk followed by chiseling–ended up being rather easy with the soft wood. The saw cut below comes from an earlier attempt to lower the stump.

IMG_3152

Making this door required a lot by comparison. I split a small half of a log (chestnut oak fallen just behind the compost pile) and planed it down into a board. I transferred the shape of the door using a tracing, cut it out with a coping saw, planed more, and did final adjustments with a chisel. The set up looks like the creation of a drunk bachelor fairy from the old country, but I accept the effort.